Three Faces West (Ray Wylie Hubbard’s first band) – The Outpost, New Mexico, 1972

So here is the treat I promised you. This is some amazing stuff right here. Now I only expect the most hardcore of Ray Wylie fans to be familiar with Three Faces West. You see Ray Wylie Hubbard started out as Ray Hubbard, folkie, playing what he called “Cosmic Cowboy Music”. He was contemporaries with Michael Martin Murphy, B.W. Stevenson and Steve Fromholz (on this recording). He had formed a band with Rick Fowler and Wayne Kidd called Three Faces West and recorded an album in 1969 that according to Steve Fromholz, was the only album more obscure than his own debut album. This was before Willie moved back to Texas, and the music they were making along with Townes Van Zandt and The Flatlanders was very much the beginnings of the Texas “progressive country” scene that would come to dominate the Texas music scene throughout the 70s. This is an audio time capsule of that era.

(Below: Three Faces West 1969 L-R Wayne Kidd, Ray Wylie Hubbard, Rick Fowler)

Now like I said, this is folkie stuff. Those only familiar with Ray’s output from the last two decades may be taken off guard by this. Musically this has more in common with Crosby, Stills, and Nash than greasy slide guitars. You’ve got harmonizing, and lots of acoustic guitars going on here. There are glimmers though of Ray’s future recorded output, such as Healing Preacher and an early version of his song Portales (which is also on his first solo album, and his 1992 album Lost Train Of Thought).

I feel like I’m talking too much about Ray Wylie’s input when there are other amazing artists on this set as well. Such as Steve Fromholz, who is probably most famous for touring with Steven Stills (which he talks about here), and writing The Texas Trilogy which was later recorded by fellow Texan Lylle Lovett. Some of the other artists on here are slightly more obscure. Dan McCrimmon who worked closely with Fromholz makes a few appearances, and you also have the other members of Three Faces West, Rick Fowler and Wayne Kidd. I could not find any info on those two, or what they are up to now, but I have to wonder if the Rick Fowler from Three Faces West is the same Rick Fowler who runs this Karate School right outside of Dallas. It is good to see however that Bill and Bonnie Hearne are still together, still playing and still recording.

If anybody has any information about what some of these folks are up to now, I would love to know just because this is such a great recording. Yes did I mention that. Not only is this recording historically important to “Progressive Country”, “Americana”, “Texas Country” or whatever the hell they are calling it this week, it’s also a fucking great recording with damn near perfect sound. I would give this a solid A in the sound category.  If you are a die hard fan of Ray Wylie Hubbard….you’re gonna want to get this. If you are a fan of “progressive texas cosmic americountry music” you are going to want to get this. If you are a fan of country rock and folk rock in the vein of Crosby Stills and Nash you will likely want to get this as well.

Here is a great article that talks about Ray Wylie Hubbard’s early days as a singer/songwriter

I didn’t make the back artwork for this because it would have been to hard to put 4 discs on one thing and well I’m not sure anyone even uses the back artwork. All the info is included in the info file (which I updated to correct some info and song titles), and I will include the track list in this post below. Also worth mentioning is even though I don’t have an exact date for this. At one point they mention Labor Day being next weekend which means the most likely date for this recording is August 25th, and 26th of 1972. It’s obvious this was recorded over at least a two night set so, that’s the best guess I have.

I would like to also mention that if anyone has a digital copy of the out of print Three Faces West album, or the out of print Fromholz album please pass it along to me and I would be greatly in your debt.

Disc 1

12. Wildfire – Three Faces West
13. Black Betty – Three Faces West

MP3 @ 192
Download Three Faces West – The Outpost 1972 here

• Jeff Dykhuis

January 18th, 2010

I talked to Ray for a short time in Steamboat at the Musicfest, i knew about how he got his start but i have never heard the old music. If it is the same Rick Fowler, he is still making music (blues) in Athens Georgia, but i may have the wrong Rick Fowler.

• Truersound

January 18th, 2010

Jeff, yeah my google searches turned up that Rick Fowler but I don't think it's the same guy as the bios say he got his start in 1981 or thereabouts.

I had never heard anything pre Cowboy Twinkies prior to this and it's amazing stuff. Amazing because it's folky stuff!!!

I hope to God Ray writes a book of some kind one day detailing all of the great stories he tells and talking about the early days of the texas music scene.

• Anonymous

February 4th, 2010

Rick Fowler is still in Red River. You can by his CD on this site:

• Michael Howard

January 14th, 2011

Rick Fowler is one of the most incredible, innovative, and versitile flat-top pickers you’ll ever hear. Back in the Outpost days, I watched him many times go through set after set of different styles, from rag to bluegrass to the Beatles. The Three Faces album “Holed Up” has some of the greatest acoustic music on tape – he is truly a gifted artist.

• kathleen hudson

March 24th, 2010

I invited Ray into my high school English class at Aledo High School after hearing him at a Dallas Folk club, Rubiyat, in the 70's. He saw my Flanner O'Conner book and the rest is literary history. My interview with him is in my first book, Telling Stories, Writing Songs: An Album of Texas Songwriters. Moved to Kerrville in about 1984 and continued by love affair with Texas folk and Texas songwriters. See http://www.texasheritagemusic.org for more info on the organization I started in 1987. Ray has also been showcased at our coffeehouse produced by THMF at Schreiner University in Kerrville. http://www.kathleenhudson.net Go ray!!! The man is a literary treasure…and I teach three courses in Texas music this fall. His writing will be in each one.

• Bag Blog

May 7th, 2010

I have an old Three Faces West album, but who know where it is at the moment. I don't think I have an old Fromholz, but I do have Willis Alan Ramsey. Actually, Rick Fowler does still live and make music in Red River, but he is currently in OK City with his very ill wife. Wayne Kidd lives in Taos and is the music minister for the church in Red River.

• Martin Luther Presley

June 23rd, 2010

This looks like an amazing set and I’m very much looking forward to listening to it!
    Anf for the record: I enjoy your artwork a lot, one of the reasons this became one of my favorite blogs – those samplers with lovingly made artwork!

And one more thing: If anyone could hook me up with more Texas songwriters whose LPs are unfortunately out-of-print these days (eg RICHARD DOBSON, STEVE YOUNG…those Heartworn Highways guys, you know? I do have Bill Callery and Willis Alan Ramsey) I’d greatly appreciate it!

Cheers,
    MLP

• Mary Anne Turner

August 7th, 2010

I have an ORIGINAL copy of the 3 Faces West album, I used to go see them in New Mexico. Had a HUGE crush on Ray . I also have a digital version I was able to pull off Napster a few years ago. GREAT MUSIC. Rick Fowler amazing on Banjo, Wayne Kidd had the best voice and played spoons, whatever. Ray was probablty the weakest musically of the bunch, but went on to be an outstanding songwriter, and actually learned to play the guitar! Rick was the son of a lawyer in Dallas, I think Rick went into SMU law school and on from there. Wayne married and bought the lumber yard in Red River. Unless I dreamt all this. Great memories.

• Roger Sarsgard

October 16th, 2012

I would absolutely LOVE a digital copy if you would be so kind as to send it to me!!! I lost the LP 15 years ago and really miss hearing this music. From the post, I am particularly interested in disc 4 which includes:Disc 4
      1. West Texas Highway – Three Faces West
      11. Won’t You Listen To Me [Steve Fromholz] – Three Faces West
      12. Wildfire – Three Faces West
      13. Black Betty – Three Faces West

Roger Sarsgard

• CJ Wells

August 19th, 2010

Hi. Are the files for Steve Fromholz and Three faces West still available for download. New to a lot of this computer stuff, but have been a huge fan of Fromholz and Hubbard since the 70’s. Would love to be able to listen to these songs. Thanks for your time. CJ

• CJ Wells

August 20th, 2010

oops, figured out the download thing today, sorry for the note yesterday. listening to “Southwestern Pilgrimage” right now, my favorite Murphey song of all time. these guys did a wonderful job with it. Thanks so much for posting this. Makes me smile and takes me way back. Thanks agaiin, CJ

• Karen Tepfer

August 25th, 2010

I am a die hard fan of Ray Wylie and Three Faces West. My first years in Red River New Mexico, when I was a teenager, were spent listening to the coolest musicians I had ever seen at The Outpost. I am glad to have fun across the download of their music because somehow I only have the album cover and no album.

• Timmons Bull

September 19th, 2010

I was a Red River musician in the summer of 1972 playing a steady gig at a restaurant/bar called the Red Onion. We swapped sets on several occasion. I played at the Outpost and the D-Bar-D and Three Faces West and Bill & Bonnie came to my bar.

I remember Ray coming on one occasion and, after making faitly specific comments to a young lady who was talking through his set, wore her drink home.

What a fun time and what incredible music was being made!

• Dannis Roberts

October 10th, 2010

Man I was just a kid when I was introduced to outpost and the Three Faces West and the first time I ever saw any one slap their body to a beat, and the apple cider was the best. Man I miss the heck out of those days stayed at Lewis ranch watched the gun fights and always had to see boys preform. Love ya guys miss the crap out of ya.
    fan
    dan roberts

• The Murmurer

October 26th, 2010

It’s amazing what you can find on the web! I was at the Kerrville Folk Festival in 1973 after my first year at Texas Lutheran University. Saw Bobby Bridger, Chubby Wise, Peter Yarrow and a host of others including Three Faces West…but not until today did I know that Ray Wilie Hubbard was part of the that band. Met him in Barney’s Back Yard Texas Outdoor Acoustic Concerts in Friendswood a few years back. What a great sound and what a great era to be 19 years old! We had some good times with Rusty Wier and Murph back in those days, too… long live the Texas Outlaws!

• Kevin Allison

October 29th, 2010

I heard 3 Faces West in the Outpost in 1969 several times and bought one of the albums onsite. I recall it had a black-and-white cover, sorta photo-artsy. The album was lost in a tragic moving accident last year, and I’ve been trying desperately to find the music again. I truly appreciate this opportunity to download; it’s worth it just to hear West Texas Highway again – an underappreciated classic MMMurphy song. Thank you! (PS Karen, maybe I saw you there)

• David Bartlett

November 15th, 2010

I am 65 years old now but in Christmas 1969, on my honeymoon and facing the draft, I visited Red River. The people at the Red River Inn told me of a new place that opened called the Outpost. So me and my bride went to listen to The Three Faces West. We loved the jokes in between the songs and in particular we loved Wildfire, which they said was written by Micheal Murphy. My bride learned to play Wildfire on her 6 string.
    We visited the Outpost several times in the next few years. My wife and I split but the music lives on.

• Michael Howard

January 14th, 2011

Three Faces – Disc 4, “Holed Up”

Hi Matt-
    Steve Howard was the 3rd cog in the Three Faces wheel after Ray left and is heard on the this album. He is sings lead, harmony and plays acoustic and electric slide. THANKS FOR UPLOADING THIS GREAT CD! Steve is my uncle and I spent the better part of my childhood wearing the grooves off this vinyl and did not have it in digital format until I found this. Went to RR several times as a youth and young adult and was honored to hang out with Rick and Wayne. Both still live in Red River (I think) and doing well. Rick has an album he recorded a few years ago on CDBaby – still a great picker, singer, songwriter. Steve is living in Kansas still playing and painting and Wayne is a preacher with a church in the area. He was featured on a video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gw6taBMfNn4. Thanks for the info and most importantly, the music. I love hearing this guys and they still hold up after all these years.

• TSW

January 28th, 2011

Back in the 70’s I played in an all girl band at Kate and Gary’s bar. Sometimes we would go up early so we could catch a set or two of Three Faces West. Those were some good times!!! I miss those days, I miss that music. Thanks for posting it so I could find it. Like finding an old lost friend!!! :o )

• John Bestul

February 9th, 2011

I had disc 4 and somewhere along the line it disappeard. As a Philmont staff member from the Midwestin the early 70s I was introduced to a whole new type of music that I love today.

• Rick

April 2nd, 2011

Still looking for disc 4. If you have a digital copy, please let me know. Saw them at the Outpost in 74, bought the album and have no idea where it is. Love to have it.

• Quin The Eskimo

June 8th, 2011

I was 5 at the time of recording of Holed up. We were up from the metro plex during that period. WE played that album to death. In our mid 30’s it was lost or it was stolen. We have the jacket also. Dad’s friend that was also there had one too. So know we only have on DAT tape master. Thank you for Disk 1 and 2. We have met Fromhotz and Ray. The recordings are really cool and remind me of my childhood.

Please does any body have disk 3

A must have!

I will try to convert Holed up to mp3 or other format. Thanks cool page.

• bf

June 14th, 2011

Hey Quin the eskimo. i just read your post and thought it sounded a lot like something very familiar to me. (Before I realized it was you) How about this stuff! Wally still doesn’t realize the vinyl’s missing does he! I was at your brother’s yesterday. How funny that I should stumble upon this site a week after you! Just downloaded the Disc one and two. Wow. Great stuff!!

• bbruphoto

July 19th, 2011

I have a LP copy of Fromholz’s album with Dan McCrimmon somewhere? Better still, he has a CD, COME ON DOWN TO TEXAS FOR AWHILE. It is on Raven (RVCD-116.) I believe I got it off Amazon. It has 4 cuts from the original album plus the song Willie recorded, “I’d Have to be Crazy.” There are 22 songs in total. I frequented and to some degree helped with the running of “The Rubaiyat” in Dallas when the late Allen Damron was running it for the owner, Bob Johnson. Michael Murphey, Fromholz, B.W. Stevenson, Townes Van Zandt, Rusty Wier, Guy Clark, Bill and Bonnie Hearn, Kenneth Threadgill, and on and on all appeared there. It was a very special time in music. Not totally unlike The Troubador in L.A. Recorded Murphey’s “The Ballad of Calico” which Kenny Rogers and The First Edition recorded and released. Didn’t do that well. Spent many an hour in the Tune-up Room with these guys. Great Times and Memories.

• bbruphoto

July 19th, 2011

Oh and one last thing. Hubbard is certifiable

• Roger

August 26th, 2011

big thanks but where’s disc 3 & 4 could only download 1 & 2

• Angela

November 11th, 2011

What a hoot to find this blog and realize there’s some folks out there that remember the old days besides me. My “little brother” Steven Fromholz (and he really is my brother — same mama and all) is finer ‘n frogfuzz, ranching in West Texas and still doing a few gigs of his choice. He’s made an amazing comeback after suffering a massive stroke in 2003 — was named Poet Laureate of Texas in 2007 and will have a new CD out “Texas Trilogy Goes to G’Nashville” next week. The CD will please a lot of follks as it’s tunes he had on the old LPs that really never saw the light of day — they’re now available at a few music stores and his website. I’m always amazed when I find folks discussing the “olden days.” I feel like all the original Outlaws and “progressive country” guys are/were my kids — I’m older ‘n dirt now! Losing Damron and Rusty Weir was way too hard. Damron had his wife call us and Steven and I went to the desert to visit him when he was very ill. We were on our way back home when we got the call that he’d passed away and we were so honored to have been called for one last visit — the man was a true talent and a great guy! Here’s to then and now — and good music!

• John Fowler

November 20th, 2011

Rick Fowler lives in Red River, NM. He plays regular gigs at The Lodge and occasionally at The Mother Lode, both in Red River, NM. He also plays occasional gigs in Taos and Santa Fe. He has a couple solo CDs and sells his fine art and paintings in Northern NM. I am his nephew and live in Dallas in the neighborhood where he grew up.

• Roger Sarsgard

October 13th, 2012

I have been looking for a copy of”Holed Up” for years.
      Any chance you know where I can get a copy??

• Dino Della Casa

December 24th, 2011

Howdy folks.
    I don’t want to sound dummy, but… where can I download discs 3 & 4?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks again.

• gw

January 20th, 2012

So Rick is still in Red River? A earlier comment said that he was in Oklahoma City because his wife was very ill? Is that correct?

• steve prichard

April 15th, 2012

I too am looking for discs 3 and 4. Any help? A die-hard TFW fan.

• Kendall Johnson

September 30th, 2012

thanks for reel to reel tape. July 1969
    I to am a old 3 face west fan.
    In the summer of 69 I was 16 . took my new reel to reel to the out post and recorded about 2 hours of the guys with their permission and also that night their was a new kid by the name of willis allen ramsey . I have made contact with rick fowler and wayne kidd in the past 2 years and sent them a copy . I hope someday I can make contact with ray w h . I also would like to give one to ramsey, I put the music on a cd for them and I took them back 40 years to their youth . And yes their jokes were great , We are all getting older and their music just keep staying young. The nights in red river at the OUTPOST are lock in all of us . I played music till 1974 with a group call IRONHOURSE in ardmore okla . after that I went in the construction buisness. My kids love to go to red river and I still wish they to could experence what we all did . Just one night with 3 young men called 3 FACES WEST .
    God Bless all

• Roger Sarsgard

October 13th, 2012

I want disc 4….anybody know where to find it!!!!!

• Connie Carey

November 5th, 2012

i saw three faces west in the early 70’s…think it was, in red river…in a cabin. they service apple cider…i was mesmorized, being a teenager there w/ my parents…have loved seeing rick fowler sing at the lodge…love his cd. i am a huge fan…would love to get a cd of the original three faces west albumn…the white one, think it is…w/ them in a jeep, if my memory serves me correctly. would like rick’s e-mail address if possible. i have always loved red river (i’m from the metroplex, and graham tx)…but, have been going to rr since i was itty bitty. also, i bought rick’s aspen drawing off the wall…at the lodge a few years ago!

• Doug

December 13th, 2012

I saw them play in the basement at Southwestern in Georgetown @ 72-73. Great night.
    Would love to have disks 3-4.

• Anonymous

January 11th, 2013

After seeing Hubbard on Letterman a couple of nights ago, I searched Ray and Three Faces West on YouTube just for kicks, found a couple of tracks from this collection, Googled Three Faces West, and found this website. I was very shocked and surprised to find that the recordings offered here were made by me. I have the original tapes and witnesses – Ray, Rick, and Wayne to prove it. I am very curious, Matt, as to how these recordings came to be in your possession. I hope that your haven’t or aren’t making any money off of them.

• Michael Howard

August 26th, 2014

I don’t remember your name but if you are the guy who recorded Disc 4, then your name was on the back of the cover of Holed Up – sorry my memory is not what it once was. I’m Steve Howard’s nephew and have misplaced (or lost) both copies of the original vinyl. Ray was not on this record since it was recorded after he moved on. Is this you? If so, does Rick or Wayne own the masters. Are the digital files of Holed Up available anywhere? I’d pay for them and I’m sure several people on this site would too. I appreciate any info on this! Thanks.

• Fritz Davis

June 27th, 2013

The group Three Faces West was originally called The Coachmen. Ask Ray when he’s in Red River for Larry Joe Taylor’s festival in August.

• Dan McCrimmon

July 3rd, 2013

Still out here.

• Kristie

January 17th, 2014

Rick are you out there somewhere? Have been thinking about you and Lisa a lot lately. Has been many moons but touch base if you can…Kris Coughenour now Walters.

• jan hensley

January 30th, 2014

Hey Dan’ l thinking about yawl. Are you still playing.

• Jean B

February 6th, 2014

I’ve been looking for Three Faces West for over 35 years and figured when Steve passed away recently that I would be able to find the album on line or through eBay. I found this wonderful site and am more than happy to pay for a copy of what appears to be Disc 4 (it is the one I am most familiar with). I tried downloading the 4 Discs according to the instructions but only Discs 1 & 2 showed up. Do you know anyway I can get a copy of Disc 4 (I’m happy to pay for it)? Thanks and love your site!

• S Blackwell

May 1st, 2014

Met Rick, Ray & Wayne around 1968? in Dallas. My now deceased husband, Johnny, played some guitar and we were at the Rubaiyat any time it was open.
    Many times after hours the guys, sometimes including BW & Mickey Raphael and Bill & Bonnie Hearne – would all come over to our house & continue a jam. I loved to cook – we’d have a big breakfast around 3or 4AM! I recall so many fun times in Dallas, Red River, Austin AND the eventful Mountain View Folk Festival – where we lost our cars to a flash flood on the White River!
    But the music was always great and loved those times!

• S Blackwell

May 1st, 2014

Another great memory: My sister, Gwen, who is an artist and musician, learned some of her first guitar licks from Ray and Rick! She was 8 years younger than all of us and “star struck”!!
    She hooked a black & white wall hanging of the Three Faces West Album cover! Think I later gave it to Wayne & Marsha??
    I had a store that represented artists from Santa Fe and Austin: Sundance Window – corner of Park Lane & Greenville in Dallas, Wayne did this beautiful routed exterior sign.
    Great friends. Hope to see them while I’m in Santa Fe for months of Aug-Sept. this year.

• Michael Howard

August 26th, 2014

Just wondering’ if there is any chance of getting Disc 4 on the site again. It was here at one time but gone now. I would appreciate it hearing Holed Up again. Thanks!

• Michael Howard

April 18th, 2013

Roger-
    I listed the actual name of the songs on the album. It’s been bugging me for several months that the names in the list below are not correct – I grew up seeing these guys and playing this album – I still have it on vinyl! The third voice you hear on these tracks is my uncle, Steve Howard, who replaced Ray after he left. He sings lead on tracks 2, 6, 8, 10, sings harmony and plays electric and acoustic slide. I also added the name of the writers to this list. Many people have no idea who wrote a couple of these songs. Michael Murphey songs were a huge part of their song list in 1972. The album was recorded live at the Outpost in Red River, NM.

1. West Texas Highway – Michael Martin Murphey (MMM)
    2. Rainbow Man – MMM
    3. Ricochet – Rick Fowler
    4. Me and My Uncle – John Phillips
    5. White River, Red Truck, Flashflood Breakdown – Rick Fowler
    6. Blackbird – Lennon/McCartney
    7. Say So Much – MMM
    8. Southwestern Pilgrimage – MMM
    9. Metroplex Rag – Rick Fowler
    10. Saturday Night – Henley/Frey
    11. Think About the Mountains – Steve Fromholz
    12. Wildfire – MMM
    13. Hambone – Traditional, but Rick says Mance Lipscomb taught it to them

• [...] was curious about Three Faces West, and I found this blog post from A Truer Sound that includes some history on the band and links to a four-disc download of the band’s music. As far as I can tell, this music isn’t available for purchase [...]