If you guys have been keeping up, you know that I recently did a guest post of a covers compilation over at High Noon Saloon. Well I asked Dangerbird if he would like to return the favor and he did so with a covers comp of his own!
Following on from the success of the first Smothered, Covered & Peppered compilation, A Truer Sound offered me the opportunity to respond with a compilation of my own. I loved Smothered… so much I thought I’d stick with the theme. Now, waffles aren’t as common in Australia as they are in the States – indeed late night takeaway is restricted to but a few isolated cafes in the cities – but I do love me a good cover.
I too stuck with predominantly newer artists doing classic tracks from a bygone era, with a few notable exceptions. For example, Ramblin’ Jack Elliott is by no means a ‘newer’ artist, though he is making a bit of a comeback after a half-decade on the folk circuit.
Followers of High Noon Saloon may recognise some of these tracks from previous mixtapes (Calexico’s version of ‘Tulsa Telephone Book’, Hank III’s ‘Atlantic City’). I make no apologies for including them again, as it’s tracks like these that have informed High Noon’s direction.
Raise a glass!
1. Wagons – I’ve Never Been To Spain (Orig. by Hoyt Axton. Made famous by Elvis Presley)
2. Mike Noga & The Gentlemen of Fortune – Tonight I’ll Be Staying Here With You (Orig. by Bob Dylan)
3. Todd Snider – Maybe You Heard (Orig. by Kris Kristofferson)
4. Calexico – Tulsa Telephone Book (Orig. by Tom T. Hall)
5. Whiskey Folk Ramblers – Ramblin’ Man (Orig. by Luke the Drifter, a.k.a. Hank Williams)
6. Wilco & Feist – The Jolly Banker (Orig. by Woody Guthrie)
7. Naama Hillman – Ring of Fire (Orig. by Johnny Cash)
8. Vetiver – Standin’ (Orig. by Townes Van Zandt)
9. Dixie Chicks with Ricky Skaggs – Walk Softly on this Heart of Mine (Orig. by Bill Monroe)
10. Ramblin’ Jack Elliott with Lucinda Williams – Careless Darling (Orig. by Ernest Tubb)
11. Old Crow Medicine Show – Union Maid (Orig. by The Almanac Singers)
12. Hank III – Atlantic City (Orig. by Bruce Springsteen)
13. Steve Earle & The V-Roys – In The Jailhouse Now (Orig. by Jimmie Rodgers)
14. Bruce Springsteen – I Ain’t Got No Home (Orig. by Woody Guthrie)
15. Cowboy Junkies – I’m So Lonely I Could Cry (Orig. by Hank Williams)
16. Paul Kelly – Pastures of Plenty (Orig, by Woody Guthrie)
17. Michael Vermillon – Waiting Around to Die (Orig. by Townes Van Zandt)
18. Death Cab For Cutie with Sean Nelson – Fortunate Son (Orig. by Creedence Clearwater Revival)
19. Nirvana – Ain’t It A Shame (Orig. by Leadbelly)
20. Jason & The Nashville Scorchers – Hello Walls (Orig. by Faron Young)
21. Scott H. Biram – Muleskinner Blues (Orig. by Jimmie Rodgers)
22. Ground Components – Jackson (Orig. by Johnny Cash & June Carter)
23. Hater – Blistered (Orig. by Billy Edd Wheeler)
24. Blitzkid – I Walk the Line (Orig. by Johnny Cash)
25. Uncle Tupelo – Sin City (Orig. by Gram Parsons)