A Truer Easter

Who says songs about Jesus have to suck. Here’s a good set of mostly straightforward gospel songs (mostly). First I want to talk about the cover image I used. Now these three crosses, exactly like those in the picture are all over this area….every road just about you will see them. They first started appearing around here in the mid to late 80’s and there were many local legends about them. These legends state that a local millionaire had a near death experience during which he had a vision of God who told him he would spare his life if he spent the rest of it building these wooden crosses and placing them beside highways. Other parts of the legend state that some folks didn’t take too kindly to these crosses being on their land or near their land or what have you and tried to tear them down. Supposedly one guys tractor suddenly caught on fire, one guy’s boat engine died and he was stranded in a lake. One guy even supposedly had a heart attack whilst trying to remove the wooden crosses. There were also stories of lightning striking them but nothing happening, and them surviving forest fires, floods and hurricanes.
Now I don’t know how true those last parts are, but a little research has confirmed that the man in question was indeed a succesful businessman from Craigsville, WV named Bernard Coffindaffer. He had a heart attack in 1982 which was when he recieved his holy vision and life’s mission. Pretty interesting stuff I thought.

Here is an article about his death in the NY Times

There is even an organization that carried on his mission after his death called “Christian Crosses

Here is some more history about Mr. Coffindaffer

Have a good Easter folks, and in the words of Billy Joe; “If you don’t love Jesus go to hell”

01 Ralph Stanley – Sing Songs About Jesus
02 The Dillards – Somebody Touched Me
03 Johnny Cash – Wildwood in the Pines
04 Ray Wylie Hubbard – When She Sang Amazing Grace (Live)
05 Billy Joe Shaver – Jesus Christ Is Still The King

Download A Truer Easter here

• Keith

September 11th, 2011

Looks good. Thanks!

• Gregory

September 17th, 2013

Hey I know this is off topic but I was wondering if you
    knew of any widgets I could add to my blog that automatically
    tweet my newest twitter updates. I’ve been looking for a plug-in like
    this for quite some time and was hoping maybe you would have
    some experience with something like this. Please let me know if you run into anything.
    I truly enjoy reading your blog and I look forward to your new updates.

• invoice factoring company

September 20th, 2013

This is my first time pay a quick visit at here and i
    am in fact impressed to read everthing at one place.

• 推薦 最高級

November 2nd, 2013

I drop a comment each time I appreciate a post on a site or
    I have something to contribute to the discussion.
    It is triggered by the passion communicated in the
    article I looked at. And on this post A Truer Easter

• I seriously love your website.. Very nice colors & theme.
    Did you build this website yourself? Please reply back
    as I’m looking to create my very own website and would like to find out where you got this from or just what the theme is named.

Thanks!

Also visit my web-site – セリーヌ レザー ボストンバッグ セリーヌ ショルダーバッグ ボストンバック

• paleo cooking elana

November 9th, 2013

What’s up, after reading this amazing post i am too happy to share my know-how
    here with friends.

• casino bonukset

November 26th, 2013

Wonderful blog! I found it while searching oon Yaahoo News.
    Do you have aany suggestions on how to gget listed in Yahoo News?
    I’ve been trying for a while but I never seem to get there!

Also visit my web-site … casino bonukset

• cheap flights from lax

December 25th, 2013

Wow that was strange. I just wrote an incredibly long comment but after I clicked submit
    my comment didn’t appear. Grrrr… well I’m not writing
    all that over again. Anyway, just wanted to say superb blog!

Also visit my web page – cheap flights from lax

• No trackbacks yet