Random Records: Johnny Cash – One Piece At A Time

Here’s a feature I haven’t done in a while, but looks like it will be a weekly (or maybe bi-weekly) feature this summer. This is Johnny Cash’s 1976 album One Piece At A Time.  Now everyone should be familiar with the title cut, as it’s one of Cash’s finest and most popular. It was also the last song Cash ever recorded to reach #1 on the Country Singles chart (which says a lot more about country music singles than it does Mr. Cash). Now I’ve talked before on here about how I think Cash’s 70’s output is overlooked and this album is probably the finest of his 70’s albums. Certainly his most known from this era.

The strongest song on here is of course One Piece At A Time, which was so popular that Johnny Cash’s people actually got a salvage yard in Nashville to build a replica of the car using the song as a blueprint (watch this video from The Johnny Cash Show to see the real car). I would love to know where the hell that car is now, check out the promo pic below.

Psychobilly Cadillac

But don’t think this album only has one good song on it in my opinion the whole thing is a solid album front to back. Matter of fact some of these songs were revived later with the candid tale of a mental illness and drug addiction “Committed To Parkview” showing up on the first Highwaymen album, and “Go On Blues” showing up later as part of the promo single for “Delia’s Gone” on the first American Recordings album. My favorite song off this however is also one of my favorite Johnny Cash songs (which is a LONG list friends) called “Love Has Lost Again”….which instead of me talking about, you can listen to by clicking the little grey triangle below…

Johnny Cash – Love Has Lost Again

• Paul

June 24th, 2010

awesome, keep the classic country coming.

thanks

• Martin Luther Presley

June 24th, 2010

This is one of my favorite features and I’m very glad about your plans to continue this.

Now, I’ve been a Cash fan ever since I could work a turntable, but for years the only record I had (from my parents’ collection) was America. I loved the narratives, even though I didn’t speak a word of English! 20 years later and I still love that record, own dozens of others, but with Cash’s vast output there are always more than a few that I still haven’t heard- including this one! Gonna grab it as soon as I have a chance!
    Cheers,
    MLP

• Vaughn

June 24th, 2010

Is that Carl Perkin’s Cadillac? :)

• Cindy

February 23rd, 2013

I’ll right away clutch your rss as I can’t find your e-mail subscription link or e-newsletter service.

Do you have any? Please let me understand in
    order that I could subscribe. Thanks.

• guaranteed paydayloans

June 5th, 2013

I’ve been exploring for a little for any high-quality articles or blog posts in this sort of house . Exploring in Yahoo I at last stumbled upon this web site. Studying this information So i am glad to convey that I have a very just right uncanny feeling I came upon just what I needed. I such a lot for sure will make sure to don?t disregard this web site and give it a look regularly.

• zucchini noodles

August 18th, 2014

Can you tell us more about this? I’d want tto find out some additionaal information.

• gatechmerchandise.com

August 19th, 2014

com-The average small business owner reports a yearly salary of
    between $36,000 and $75,000 a year. You can place
    a few on the sink countertops as well as in the stalls.
    Since the malls are failing, the stores in them are, too.

• Bebe

September 18th, 2014

You really make it appear really easy with your presentation however I
    find this topic to be really one thing that I feel I would by no means understand.
    It kind of feels too complicated and extremely broad for me.
    I am having a look ahead for your next post, I will attempt to get the dangle of it!

Here is my web site … julienne vegetable peeler (Bebe)

• No trackbacks yet